What is counselling?
- Counselling is a collaborative process between a counsellor and client. Through reflection and exploration, the aim is to bring awareness, change and growth to issues that are negatively impacting your well-being, relationships and quality of life.
- Whilst talking with friends and family can be helpful, sometimes it can be difficult to share deeply personal thoughts, feelings and experiences with people you know, particularly when life feels overwhelming and you are struggling to cope. Counselling presents a unique opportunity to share these thoughts, feelings and experiences in a warm, supportive, non-judgmental and confidential space. The counselling relationship is unique in that, for many clients, it may be one of the first times they have formed an intimate connection with another person, where their feelings, thoughts and ideas have been allowed to be heard, understood and valued and where they have not had to censor themselves. When clients are able to reveal themselves totally and still be accepted, perhaps for the first time in their lives, therapeutic change inevitably occurs.
- Counsellors will not tell you what to do but they will work alongside you with the aim of helping you reach your own solutions and insight. They can help you unravel your thoughts and emotions, facilitate the exploration of alternative perspectives and support you whilst you consider your choices and find your own answers.
- Importantly, counselling isn’t all doom and gloom. Whilst it’s OK to cry during sessions, it’s also OK to laugh. Even in the most challenging times, humour is important and, in my experience, a good cry as well as a good laugh can act as a release. All responses and emotions are welcome in the counselling room!
- Counselling may be long or short term. Together we will work to establish clear goals within a mutually agreed timeframe. As the client, you are always in control but periodical reviews will help us to establish where we are, how far you have come and still have to go. Ideally sessions should be weekly but we can discuss and review what suits you.
- Counselling can be a challenging process and it can be scary to take that first step. Rest assured that a warm welcome awaits you and I will do all I can to put you at ease. Ultimately, counselling may bring about lasting and meaningful change and enhance your overall sense of well-being, helping you to release emotional baggage from your past and/or present and to move forward with a sense of purpose and a greater control of your own life.
Each session lasts 50 minutes @ £45.
Payment can be via bank transfer or cash on the day.
There is a 24-hour cancellation policy in place where full fee will be charged.
Please contact me when you feel ready to take that first step.